Healthy Protein-Packed Carrot Cake!
It's moist, flavorful, and packed with a powerful protein punch. Just one bite of this carrot cake will leave you wanting more!
Name: Anna Sward
Occupation: Author & Founder of Protein Pow
Book: 'Protein Pow(d)er: The Cookbook'
Why have a shake when you can have cake, am I right? I'm not talking just any store-bought cake packed with sugar, white flour, and gobs of frosting, of course. I'm talking about the healthy and delicious homemade version that's packed with nutrient-dense ingredients and a good dose of protein pow!
Washed down with a glass of milk, a square (or two) of this cake makes the perfect midday snack. For extra-easy portability, slice the cake into bars, and pack it up to enjoy at school or the office. It's absolutely sublime alongside a cup of coffee or tea before or after the gym—or whenever you feel like sinking your teeth into a well-deserved sweet treat. (Go on, you deserve it!)
This is a very oat-heavy treat, so if you want a more cake-like texture, feel free to sub the oats with a self-rising, gluten-free flour. If you go that route, just be sure to add a tablespoon or two of coconut oil to your batter to retain the moisture and make this cake so smooth your fork will glide through it with ease.
Enjoy this one, guys. It's quick, easy, and did I mention, delicious?
Gluten-free rolled oats 1 cup
Eggs 4 large
Raisins (or sultanas) 4 tbsp
Carrots, grated 4 (400 g)
Coconut sugar (or granulated Stevia) 3/4 cup
Vanilla extract 1 tbsp
Cinnamon 1 tbsp
Chopped walnuts to taste
Low-fat cream cheese 4 containers
Vanilla whey protein powder 4 tbsp
Stevia 4 drops
Vanilla extract 1 tbsp
- Preheat your oven to 320 degrees F (160 C). In a bowl, combine the cake ingredients with a spoon.
- Pour your batter into a brownie pan (I use a silicone one)
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until your cake feels almost done but not done-done. This is important, because as you may know by now, whey protein has a tendency to dry up cakes like nobody's business, so you have to take the cake out before it fully cooks through; otherwise, it might end up being hard.
- Let the cake cool overnight.
- To make the frosting, just whisk together the frosting ingredients and add it to the cake! Slice into squares or bars. Enjoy!
Serving size: 1 slice of cake
Recipe yields: 12 servings