This crazy-simple recipe for a gluten-free, healthy breakfast will change the way you look at toast forever.
- 2 whole sweet potato
- 1 spray olive oil
Topping ideas Ingredients
- 2 tbsp natural almond butter
- 1 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long) banana
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 fruit, without skin and seed avocado
- 1 large egg, soft-boiled
- 4 oz salmon, smoked
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash the sweet potatoes and chop the ends off. Slice sweet potatoes vertically into 1/2-inch pieces to resemble toast, making about four slices per sweet potato. To ensure even slices, use a mandolin.
- Lay potato slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or on a baking rack. Spray with olive oil, then bake for 15 minutes or until tender-crisp. Make sure the edges are not burned.
- Remove sweet potatoes from oven and allow to cool completely. Store slices in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you are ready to enjoy.
- To make sweet potato toast, place a slice or two in a toaster or toaster oven and cook on medium until the edges are slightly curled and crispy. Be careful not to let the toast burn.
- 1. Top the "toast" with your choice of toppings: • 2 tbsp almond butter with 1/3 banana and a sprinkle of cinnamon • 2 tbsp almond butter with blueberries (low-sugar alternative to banana) • 2 tbsp mashed avocado with sea salt, pepper, and poached egg • 2 tbsp mashed avocado with smoked salmon pieces