This Creole-inspired dish is loaded with andouille sausage, plump shrimp, onion, peppers, and okra in a flavorful onion broth with a hint of tomato and just a little heat.
- 1 lb small shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 oz smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup flour
- 6 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 stalk, medium stalk celery, finely diced
- 3 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp salt-free Creole seasoning
- 3 cup okra
- ½ cup green onion, chopped
- Thaw shrimp in fridge overnight, or place bag in lukewarm water for an hour until thawed through.
- Brown the sausage in the bottom of a large saucepan or soup pot with oil and onions over medium-high heat.
- Add flour and stir to coat evenly.
- Add broth, celery, garlic, bell pepper, tomato paste, Worcestershire, bay leaves, and Creole seasoning (like Tony Chachere's). Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add okra and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add shrimp with juice from bag and simmer briskly for 2 minutes.
- Serve hot over rice and garnish with green onions.